Since ancient times, honey has been used as both a food and a medicine. It's very high in beneficial plant compounds, and offers several health benefits. Honey is particularly healthy when used instead of refined sugar, which is 100% empty calories. Here are the top 8 health benefits of honey that are supported by science.
1. Honey for Infections Bacteria are the main cause of various kinds of infections. You can prevent your body from these infections just by incorporating it into your daily diet. Being enriched with antibacterial properties, it works as a shield against various kinds of infection preventing your body from further damage.
2. It Boosts Energy Since the sweet tasting honey is loaded with the methylglyoxal compound, it is known to boost energy levels. This compound also contributes to enhance your immune system stimulating the growth of cytokines, which are found to organize immune your responses. Combined with antioxidants, these properties keep your body active and super energized.
3. It Prevents Nausea Nausea and consistent morning sickness will impede you from sticking to your diet on a daily basis, making your weaker and weaker. However, adding a bit of honey to your diet can change all this drastically. You can treat this condition by adding lemon juice to raw honey. It not just relieves nausea, but prevents vomiting as well. If lemon juiceis too sour for you, you can try this remedy with apple cider vinegar before going to bed.
4. Honey for Weight Loss This golden colored substance is a mouthwatering way to lose weight. You can even replace regular sugar intake with it for quick results. Moreover, consuming a spoonful of honey with warm water can reduce your sugar cravings, which will help you a lot during your weight loss journey. A recent study noted the fact that natural sugars found in the honey act differently than white sugar inside your body.
5. It Promotes Sleep Sleeping 8 hours without any disruption is extremely important for your well being. This is why; experts and dietitians suggest getting plenty of sleep and rest to combat health problems. However, not getting enough sleep can put your health at various risks. It is where consuming it comes into an action. Eating a tablespoon of it before bedtime is recommended to insomniacs. This way, their liver glycogen stays up because if they get empty, your liver stops glucose formation, which is essential for producing energy. This process is said to prevent you from falling asleep as you should.
6. Honey for Asthma Isn’t it surprising to learn that it can relieve asthma as well, which is a daunting health problem. It not just it treats troubling coughs, but helps relieve the respiratory system by keeping all that wheezing and troubled breathing at bay. Moreover, honey is known to soothe mucus membranes found in the airways. Consuming a decent quantity of honey can also impede mucus buildup in the bronchial tubes, which is known as a major asthma symptom.
7. It Removes Dandruff Dandruff and an itchy scalp are quite annoying problems. Not to mention they are embarrassing. You But thanks to the antibacterial properties found in honey, you can get rid of the problems once and for all. Using honey on hair is as safe as eating it. To treat dandruff and an unhealthy scalp, all you need is to mix equal portions of raw honey and water. Massage your scalp with it and apply on the locks as well. Leave it for an hour and then rinse it off. You will notice a difference in fewer weeks. 1
8. Honey for Skin There is only one way to get shiny, spotless and an even skin and that is honey. Regular application of raw honey on the face can treat various skin problems including acne – thanks to its antibacterial and antiseptic properties once again. This sweet substance not just removes acne scars, but stops their reoccurrence as well. If you are stressing over the appearance of premature wrinkles and fine lines, start using it today to get plenty of nutrients that your skin needs. Moreover, you don’t really need to spend an extra amount on the whitening products once you have brought a honey jar. It is known to enhance your complexion keeping it radiant and clear.